Think like Mary

Luke 10:38-42 reads:


“Now as they were travelling along, He [Jesus] entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”




As I read these verses recently, they really struck a chord with me. As a Christian woman, especially as a Christian wife, I can understand and sympathise with Martha’s situation. Out of good intentions she welcomed the Lord into her home, and was making Him and His guests food and attempting to make everyone comfortable. And, in the scriptures, wives are encouraged to be homemakers; which involves serving and hosting and tending to the needs of others (Titus 2:4-5, Proverbs 31). I know, personally, I find special meaning and importance in tending to the needs of my husband and daughter and the guests we receive into our home. Indeed, the Lord Jesus has been teaching me recently that looking after my family is one of the greatest jobs and purposes He has and will ever give me. But notice that I do not say that it is the greatest job and purpose of my life. We will come to that.


The important distinction to make here is that Martha was ‘distracted’ by her preparations. Jesus tells her that she is ‘worried’ and ‘bothered’ by her preparations, and that is where the majority of the issue lies. Martha allowed her hosting to interfere with her time and relationship with Jesus. The tasks she was doing were loving, in essence they were good, but she prioritised them over her time with the Lord and that is the heart of the issue. Jesus has to be our first priority. Mary chose the good part because she chose Jesus first. She humbled herself, sat at His feet like a child and listened to every word that came out of His mouth. She did this because she saw the precious value of His words. Jesus also said that what Mary was receiving ‘shall not be taken away from her’. What we receive from Jesus lasts forever, unlike the temporal things of this world. When we invest in Jesus, we reap in abundance. 


This is something which I have come to learn, and if it blesses you too then glory to God! Bear in mind: I do not want to discourage you from being like Martha in some ways, for her intentions and actions were still loving in the right context and moment. But when it comes to prioritising the Lord, think like Mary, put the preparations to one side, and just sit at the Lord’s feet.  


  

Comments

  1. Awesome. You take great care of me and Zoe! But you're so right, it's more about having the right heart toward Jesus than how much we accomplish in this life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

God is Faithful

5 ways to Glorify God during the Coronavirus pandemic

Loss